Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Hitting The Waiver Wire For Week Six; Matchups To Watch For


Welcome in week six of the football season and week six of your fantasy season. Like last week I will go over the top five waiver wire acquisitions as well, the top three matchups I like that could potentially help you get a win over your opponent.
The best player I see this week coming off the boards is Chicago Bears wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, who is owned in just over 85 percent of leagues. If you had this guy on your team last week and started him, you most likely won, as he went off against the Saints going for 10 catches totaling 218-yards with a touchdown. While I don’t see this performance coming in the short week against the New York Giants on Thursday, it’s not impossible. However, I could see Jeffery put up a game like he did in week four against the Detroit Lions when he had five catches for 107 with a touchdown. I would go for Jeffrey now, if you hesitate you might be on the wrong side of the matchup next week.
The second player I see coming off the boards is New Orleans Saints running back Pierre Thomas, who is owned in just over 15 percent of leagues. With Mike Ingram injured the last few weeks Thomas has seen an increase in the number of carries he gets a game, although he hasn’t really provided the numbers the team was looking for. But the Saints have seen him do very well in the passing game, last week catching nine passes on nine attempts with two scores. While I don’t see Thomas getting multiple scores a week with Ingram out and working along side of Darren Sproles I think Thomas could be a valuable pick up like he was in years past. I would take a chance on Thomas if Ingram remains injured and if you believe the Saints will continue to target him out of the backfield like they did last week against the Chicago Bears.
The third guy I see coming off the board is Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Justin Blackmon, who is owned in just over 20 percent of leagues. Blackmon was suspended the first four games of the season and saw his first action of the year last week against the St. Louis Rams, and impressed going for 136-yards on five catches with a touchdown. While this might come as a shock, it shouldn’t. Blackmon will do better in Jacksonville with Chad Henne under center rather than starting quarterback Blaine Gabbert. With Henne at the helm, the Jaguars have seen the passing game eclipse 200-yards multiple times, which was something they haven’t with Gabbert. Blackmon should be picked up if you are in a pinch at wide receiver, or if you need a bye week receiver. The schedule for Jacksonville doesn’t get easier going to Denver and San Francisco in the next few weeks, but that could mean increased targets in the passing game for Blackmon. I’d grab Blackmon if you have a chance.
The fourth guy I see jumping off the boards this week is New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith, who is owned in just over five percent of leagues. With his performance Monday night against the Atlanta Falcons it looks as if the Jets don’t look like they jumped the gun when they decided to throw Smith into the fire that is the quarterback position in the NFL. While I don’t except Smith to top 300-yards this week, I could see him toss another three-touchdown game against the Steelers. I would take a chance on Smith if you need a bye week quarterback or have a place to stash him on your bench for later in the season when he faces up against the Bills again.
The fifth guy I like this week off the waiver wire is Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Harry Douglas, who is owned in just over two percent of leagues. With Roddy White still lingering from his high ankle sprain and the emergence that Julio Jones will be out for the season Douglas is in line to see more targets from Matt Ryan. While Douglas and the Falcons are on a bye this week, I still see a need to target Douglas off the waiver wire with Jones’ injury. The schedule for the Falcons will see them take on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Arizona Cardinals, Buffalo Bills and Washington Redskins down the line so Douglas should have a solid season lining up opposite of White. I would go for Douglas if you have a spot to stash a receiver or if you have Jones or White.
Now that I have gone over the top five waiver wire pickups I will go over the top three matchups I think you could benefit from starting players in to get a jump on your opponent this week.
The first matchup I like this week is the Jacksonville Jaguars at the Denver Broncos. I am assuming this game will be a blow out as the Denver Broncos continue to steam roll the NFL, and the lesser opponents they face in the AFC such as the Jaguars. So it comes with no hesitation that I like a lot of the players on the Denver offense including Peyton Manning, Knowshon Moreno, Demaryius Thomas, Julian Thomas and Wes Welker. I do like starting Maurice Jones-Drew and Justin Blackmon, but that is more out of need that want, as they are the only players the Jaguars have of any value.
The second matchup I like is the New Orleans Saints at the New England Patriots. With Tom Brady breaking his streak of 52-consecutive games with a touchdown, I am looking for a rebound game at home against the high-powered offense in the Saints. Also for Brady he will see the return of tight end Rob Gronkowski, which should help in the passing game. I feel this game will be a shootout so I like several players from each team’s offense. But I will be taking the Patriots to upset the Saints. For the Patriots I like Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski and Julian Edelman. On the Saints side I like Drew Brees, Marques Colston, Darren Sproles and Pierre Thomas.
Watch out, the third matchup I like this week is the Monday Night game. The game between the Indianapolis Colts and the San Diego Chargers. Another Monday Night game means rallying in the final game of the week to overcome your deficit against your opponent, or one last game to tack on extra points. I like the Colts in this game over the Chargers, as Andrew Luck and co. continues to impress the AFC critics. I believe this game will be high scoring, but it might be one sided early with the Colts taking control first and the Chargers scrambling to come back like they did last week against the Oakland Raiders. On the Colts side I like Andrew Luck, Trent Richardson and Reggie Wayne. On the Chargers side of the ball I like Phillip Rivers and Antonio Gates.
That’s all for this week, check back next week when I go over the top five waiver wire pick ups and the top three matchups to watch for.

No comments:

Post a Comment