Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Hitting The Waiver Wire For Week Eight; Matchups To Watch For


Welcome in week eight of the football season and week eight of your fantasy season. Like last week I will go over the top five waiver wire acquisitions as well, the top three matchups I like that could potentially help you get a win over your opponent.

The first player I see jumping off the boards this week is Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Mike James, who is owned in just over seven percent of leagues. With starting running back Doug Martin out for the week and possibly more, James is a solid pick up. While James might not put up Martin-esque type numbers, he will be the ‘starting back’ this week, so he is worth a shot. I would take James if you had Martin or need a bye week spot start at a flex.

The second player I like this week is Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, who is owned in just over seven percent of leagues. I like Heyward-Bey because of two reasons, he is coming off a game with a touchdown, and he will be seeing more targets from quarterback Andrew Luck now that Reggie Wayne is injured. I would take a shot on Heyward-Bey if you had Wayne, or are looking for a bye week spot start at a flex.

The third player I see coming off the boards this week is Philadelphia Eagles Riley Cooper, who is owned in just over three percent of leagues. I like Cooper this week because he has seen a big increase in the amount of targets going his way over the past two weeks. Also in the same past two weeks Coopers has totaled over 200 yards receiving with a score on 10 catches. While I don’t see Cooper getting 100 yards a game with a score, he is being targeted opposite of DeSean Jackson and could do well this week against the New York Giants who have been pretty bad on defense for the majority of the season. I would start Cooper as a flex start for a bye week fill in.

The fourth player I like this week is New York Giants running back Peyton Hillis, who is owned in just over nine percent of leagues. The Giants have been having running back issues all year, first with David Wilson, then with Brandon Jacobs. The Giants have landed Hillis and he showed off his skills last week in the win against the Minnesota Vikings. While I don’t think Hillis will put up 100 total yards and a score every week, he has a good chance to if the Giants get on track. I would take Hillis for a test drive this week against the Eagles, and if he pays off keep starting him. Remember at one point in his career Hillis was a top 10 fantasy back, could he be channeling his past? If you grab you him, you better hope so.

The fifth player I would take a shot on this week is Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton, who is owned in just over 34 percent of leagues. Dalton put up a monster game last week with 372 passing yards and three touchdown passes, which sparked my re-interest in Dalton. Before the season started I was high on Dalton as he was once again paired with AJ Green, but early on he Dalton didn’t pay dividends, but after last week I want to give him another shot. I like Dalton as a bye week start, or someone you can stash on the bench for a matchup start later in the year.

Now that I have gone over the top five waiver wire pickups I will go over the top three matchups I think you could benefit from starting players in to get a jump on your opponent this week.

The first matchup I like this week is the Dallas Cowboys at the Detroit Lions. The Cowboys will be looking to take a hold of the NFC East with a win, while the Lions are trying to stay in the mix in the NFC North with a win of their own. I expect this game to be a shootout as have been many of the Cowboys games this year, so it is no shocker that I don’t like the start of either defense, but love the start of several players on offense. On the Cowboys side I like Tony Romo, Dez Bryant and Jason Witten. On the Lions side I like Matthew Stafford, Calvin Johnson and Reggie Bush.

The second matchup I like this week is the San Francisco 49ers at the Jacksonville Jaguars. The 49ers are looking to creep closer to the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC West while the Jaguars are still looking for their first win of the season. The Jaguars have been giving some tough teams a good battle, but I don’t see that happening this week against the 49ers. I like several players from the 49ers this week including their defense, Colin Kaepernick, Frank Gore, Anquan Bouldin and Vernon Davis.

The third matchup I like this week is the Green Bay Packers at the Minnesota Vikings. The Packers are looking to take a hold of the NFC North while the Vikings are looking to secure their second win of the season. The Vikings are also in the middle of a quarterback quandary, so I expect the Packers to take this one with ease. In this game I like several players on the Packers including their defense, Aaron Rodgers, Eddie Lacy and Jordy Nelson.

That’s all for this week, check back next week when I go over the top five waiver wire pick ups and the top three matchups to watch for.

No comments:

Post a Comment