Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Hitting The Waiver Wire For Week 15; Matchups To Watch For: Playoffs Pt. 1

Welcome in week 15 of the football season and week 15 of your fantasy season. For some of you this is the first round of the playoffs, and for others it’s the consolation round.



Like I have all season, I will go over the top five waiver wire acquisitions as well, the top three matchups I like that could potentially help you get a win over your opponent.



The first player I see jumping off the boards this week is Baltimore Ravens tight end Dennis Pitta, who is owned in just over five percent of leagues. With tight ends around the league falling off left and right, and it already being a shallow position Pitta might be just who you need to fill in your tight end gap in the playoffs. While I don’t think Pitta will have a touchdown in every game down the stretch like he did in his debut last week, I still like his chances to catch five or six passes from Joe Flacco. Pitta is worth a start if you just like your tight end like I did … Rob Gronkowski, you were just what I needed. Why did you leave me so soon?



The second player I like this week is Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins, who is owned in just over one percent of leagues. With Robert Griffin III down for the season and Cousins in, it’s a no brainer to take this quarterback for the stretch run. Last year Cousins played well when RG3 went down. I believe it will be the same again this year, as he faces the Atlanta Falcons, Dallas Cowboys and New York Giants. I would grab Cousins if you have Griffin, or another injured quarterback ala Aaron Rodgers, Jay Cutler or Terrelle Pryor.



The third player I see coming off the boards this week is Indianapolis Colts wide receiver Da’Rick Rodgers, who is owned in just over one percent of leagues. Rodgers had an explosive game last week going for over 100 yards with a score. While I don’t expect him to keep that up for the remainder of the season, the idea that he can do it is there, and that intrigues me. I like Rodgers as a flex start in deeper leagues, or if you need a spot start due to an injury.



The fourth player I like this week is Oakland Raiders quarterback Matt McGloin, who is owned in just over one percent of leagues. McGloin will get the start Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs. While this is not a great matchup for the Raiders, McGloin is a good quarterback, and if the Chiefs get an early lead McGloin will be trying to get the Raiders back in the game with his arm. I like McGloin as a spot start in deeper leagues, or if you had an injury at the position.



The fifth player I would take a shot on this week is Oakland Raiders running back Marcell Reece, who is owned in just over three percent of leagues. The Raiders running game has been inconsistent at best this year, with Darren McFadden having a great start then going down due to injury. Then it was Rashad Jennings having great games, but he too went down with an injury. Jennings is cleared from his concussion he suffered two weeks back, but there is still the looming issue of head injuries that worries me. I like Reece for the fact that he will suit up no matter what. I would handcuff Reece with Jennings, and watch the reports going towards Sunday to see who you should start.



Now that I have gone over the top five waiver wire pickups I will go over the top three matchups I think you could benefit from starting players in to get a jump on your opponent this week.



The first matchup I like this week is the San Diego Chargers at the Denver Broncos. This is a Thursday night matchup, and a good way to get some early points on your competition making them scramble to make up points when it counts most, the playoffs. In the first meeting between these two teams the Broncos came away with a 28-20 win. Now the game shifts to Denver, and I expect the results to be the same. On the Chargers side of the ball I like Phillip Rivers, Ryan Matthews, Antonio Gates and Keenan Allen. On the Broncos side of the ball I like Peyton Manning, Knowshon Moreno, Montee Ball and Julian Thomas.



The second matchup I like this week is the Philadelphia Eagles at the Minnesota Vikings. The Eagles are coming off a great win against another NFC North opponent in the Detroit Lions, and now are facing a team in trouble in the Vikings. I expect the Eagles to roll by the Vikings in this matchup. On the Eagles side of the ball I like Nick Foles, LeSean McCoy and DeSean Jackson. On the Vikings side of the ball I like Toby Gerhart.



The third matchup I like this week is the New England Patriots at the Miami Dolphins. Historically the Patriots dominate this matchup, and I don’t expect it to change even with the Patriots losing Rob Gronkowski last week. There are some factors though that could make this game close. Last time the Patriots faced the Dolphins, Tom Brady only passed for 116 yards with one touchdown and one interception. However, since Brady has been on fire. I expect the Patriots to find a way to win this matchup, similar to the score in week eight, 27-17. On the Patriots side of the ball I like Tom Brady, Shane Vereen, Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola. On the Dolphins side of the ball I like Lamar Miller and Mike Wallace.



That’s all for this week, check back next week when I go over the top five waiver wire pick ups and the top three matchups to watch for.

No comments:

Post a Comment