Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Hitting The Waiver Wire For Week 14; Matchups To Watch For


Welcome in week 14 of the football season and week 14 of your fantasy season. Like last week I will go over the top five waiver wire acquisitions as well, the top three matchups I like that could potentially help you get a win over your opponent.

The first player I see jumping off the boards this week is Denver Broncos running back Montee Ball, who is owned in over 77 percent of leagues. Ball was in line to be the go-to back when the season started, but veteran Knowshon Moreno beat him out and has proven to be a solid all-around back since. However, last week Ball showed that he deserved more carries with his first 100 plus yard rushing day of his young NFL career. I don’t think Ball will immediately take all the carries away from Moreno, but he should be worth holding onto if you have Moreno. Going forward the Broncos play the Tennessee Titans, San Diego Chargers, Houston Texans and Oakland Raiders so he should see some more time as the Broncos coast into the playoffs.

The second player I like this week is Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Terrance Williams, who is owned in just over 42 percent of leagues. While Williams’ three receptions last week were the most since a week seven matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles, I still like Williams going forward. Tony Romo has lots of choices in the offense with the Cowboys, but Williams always seems to be running opposite of Dez Bryant, and this week against the Chicago Bears I think Williams’ routes will pay off. I like Williams this week as a third receiver or flex and going forward I like him against the Washington Redskins and Eagles.

The third player I see coming off the boards this week is Seattle Seahawks tight end Zach Miller, who is owned in just over 11 percent of leagues. Miller had his best game of the season last week, following his best yardage output the game before. It looks like the Seahawks are going to keep targeting Miller more, trying to get him more involved in the offense down the stretch. This week against the San Francisco 49ers might not be the best play, but in this fierce NFC West matchup anything is possible. I like Miller as a tight end play, or a flex in deeper leagues.

The fourth player I like this week is Tennessee Titans quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who is owned in just over four percent of leagues. While the matchup against the Denver Broncos doesn’t look to be an inviting one, I actually like it for Fitzpatrick. I don’t think the Titans will keep up with the Broncos, so I believe Fitzpatrick will be a good play as the Titans look to play catch up in this game. The one precaution with this philosophy would be if Fitzpatrick tosses interceptions as he did last week against Indianapolis. I like Fitzpatrick as a spot start if you need a new quarterback.

The fifth player I would take a shot on this week is actually a defense, the Oakland Raiders defense, which are owned in just over 12 percent of leagues. The Raiders defense has actually been pretty solid this year except for a few miscues against the Denver Broncos and the Philadelphia Eagles. This week against he New York Jets and error-filled quarterback Geno Smith, I look for the Raiders to continue their strong performance. I like the Raiders as a spot start this week.

Now that I have gone over the top five waiver wire pickups I will go over the top three matchups I think you could benefit from starting players in to get a jump on your opponent this week.

The first matchup I like this week is the Cleveland Browns against the New England Patriots. The Browns have had a very up and down season, while the Patriots have been on a roll lately thanks to the return of Rob Gronkowski. In this matchup I like the Patriots to win, but I like a few players on each side of the ball. On the Browns side I like Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron. On the Patriots side I like Tom Brady, LaGarette Blount and Rob Gronkowski.

The second matchup I like this week is the Detroit Lions against the Philadelphia Eagles. This is a matchup between two high-powered offenses, and I expect the game to be a shootout despite the recent success the Lions had against the Green Bay Packers. I like the Lions to win, but I still like a few players on each side of the ball. On the Lions side I like Matthew Stafford, Reggie Bush and Calvin Johnson. On the Eagles side I like Nick Foles, LeSean McCoy and DeSean Jackson.

The third matchup I like this week is the New York Giants against the San Diego Chargers. The San Diego Chargers are hoping for a late run to squeak into the playoffs with a wildcard spot, while the Giants are still in the running for the division despite the poor start to the season. I like the Chargers to win, but I like a few players on each side of the ball. For the Giants I like Eli Manning, Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks. On the Chargers side I like Phillip Rivers, Ryan Matthews, Keenan Allen and Antonio Gates.

That’s all for this week, check back next week when I go over the top five waiver wire pick ups and the top three matchups to watch for.

No comments:

Post a Comment